We are looking for teachers who are passionate about education, teaching, and learning. Alzar School is an accredited, non-profit semester high school for students in 10th and 11th grades in Idaho and Chile. We accomplish our mission to ‘build leaders who positively impact the world’ through the intersection of academics, outdoor adventure, and cultural immersion. Teachers teach traditional content areas of science, math, history, English, Spanish, and electives in Capstone Leadership and Outdoor Adventure Activity. Teachers also serve as outdoor instructors for multi-day whitewater river trips and/or backpacking trips, both in North America (Idaho/Oregon) and Patagonia, Chile, where we spend approximately six weeks per semester. Additionally, teachers rotate through residential duties as we are a residential boarding school.
Teachers should be prepared to sign a two-year contract. Our school year runs early August to late May, with 3 weeks off over winter break. New hires begin in July for staff training.
At least ONE of the following academic qualifications:
- Teaching certificate (or concrete plan to acquire one by May 1, 2020... see ABCTE program as one route)
- Education degree (undergraduate or graduate level)
- Master’s degree in content area
- 2+ years teaching experience
Professional/expert-level experience in ONE of the following:
- Whitewater rafting (up to class IV)
- Whitewater kayaking (up to class IV)
- Backpacking (6-7 days in remote locations)
- WFR, CPR
- Knowledge and experience with professional outdoor programming methods and practices.
- The physical ability to perform strenuous outdoor recreational activities in remote and rugged mountains or water based environments.
- Spanish proficiency (not required)
- Experience working with teenagers
- Experience leading international programming
- Experience with residential or boarding programs
- Proficiency with a variety of computer software and applications, to include some of the following (but not limited to): all Google apps
Questions can be directed to Alzar School Director of Studies Laura Bechdel: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, no later than Feb.1st for the following school year.
Apply via our online application:
Alzar School is a semester school for students in 10th and 11th grades. Students are highly motivated teenagers who want to make a difference in the world. Alzar School’s main campus is in Cascade, Idaho, but each semester includes extended cultural immersion in Chile. Faculty travel with the s...